Services provided by the Computer Core facility
- Evaluation, purchase, set up, and maintenance of the computer hardware and network for the 170 users in the research groups of the PIs and Associate Members of the Division of Structural Biology and Genetics.
- Development and acquisition of software and installation and maintenance of software for the Division of Structural Biology and Genetics, including programs for the determination, display, and interpretation of molecular structures.
- Instruction in the use of hardware, software and graphics.
- Development and maintenance of the World Wide Web sites of the Division of Structural Biology and Genetics and partnering units, including the UCLA-DOE Fold server and Structure Verification servers and other programs for sequence and structure analysis.
- Maintenance of publicly accessible databases developed in the Division, and of databases and programs for internal use.
Facilities and Equipment
A network of servers and graphic workstations has been established, made up of a cluster of 140 Linux compute servers using the ROCKS system and 45 Linux workstations, which are connected together by a high speed network of fiber optics. All the web, mail, SQL servers and large RAID systems, are housed in air-conditioned rooms.